Quo Vadimus


Friday, May 14, 2004

 

HOW TO EAT FIFTY HOT DOGS IN TWELVE MINUTES.

By Takeru Kobayashi, hot-dog-eating champ

First and foremost , stay in shape. I know that sounds strange, but the fact is no one over 160 pounds has ever eaten more than thirty and a half hot dogs at the Fourth of July Nathan's Famous contest on Coney Island. Fat prevents your stomach from expanding. You also have to be able to eat so fast that your brain doesn't have time to tell you to stop. A lot of people think they should start slow and sprint toward the finish, but if you do that, you'll be twenty hot dogs behind me at the six-minute mark. I always break the hot dogs in half, which saves me a lot of needless chewing. And my trademark, the "Kobe Shake," is really just a little hop and a quick gyration to release any air pockets in my stomach. I could force myself to burp, but I've come to see that you can't always rely on a burp in the middle of a hard-fought battle. — As told (via translator) to Gersh Kuntzman, from "The Skills of Summer (Part 2)", Esquire, June 2004.

posted by Linus | 7:20 AM

blog-o-rama
film
telly
rock
read
email
archives